Revised Vocabulary Lesson


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Okay, I’ve learned that we shouldn’t be saying “Jambo” unless we want people to think we are tourists! So here are some new words to practice instead:

You can say “Habari”. This is another word for hello, which actually means “news”. So it’s like asking someone “what’s the news?”. The answer is “Nzuri”—it rhymes with Missouri.

Or you can say “Hujambo”, which is like saying “You’re okay?” The answer to this is “Sijambo”.

The word for goodbye is “Kwaheri”—so, kwaheri for now. Tuonane tena (we’ll see you again later!).


2 Responses to “Revised Vocabulary Lesson”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    I wonder how you communicated with the Samburu people since you don’t know much of the Kiswahili language. It is cool to learn many different languages of the world. After I read a few of the vocabulary words you listed in Kiswahili, I hope to learn the language someday. English is my second language. I speak Chinese. Maybe Kiswahili will be my third language!

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    The Wamba staff was always with us and they translated for us. Some of the Samburu people do know some English-- but sometimes it was hard to understand because of their accent. I agree with you-- it would be cool to learn to speak more Kiswahili! We practiced at breakfast everyday, so most of the words I learned have to do with breakfast food!

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me


  • Hi! My name is Shayne Russell, and I'm the Library Media Specialist at Kenneth R. Olson Middle School in Tabernacle, NJ. Come along with me on an adventure to Kenya, Africa! We will be working as volunteer researchers, side-by-side with scientists who are studying the endangered Grevy's Zebra. Let's see what research looks like... outside of the library!

Photos from the Field


A herd of Grevy's Zebras grazing.

Zebra Day 3/2/06


Leader of the Herd

Mrs. A and Mrs. Havers

Mr. Stecher wore his zebra tie!

A good time was had by all.

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3