To Market, To Market...
Published Saturday, March 18, 2006 by Ms. Russell | E-mail this post 

March 16. Today was our last day at the Earthwatch Institute in Wamba, and also our day off. We started the day early with a 6:30 AM bird walk. The birds here are amazing! I think I like the little bee-eaters best, but we also saw an Orange-Bellied Parrot and another cool bird called a Hoopoe.
Dr. Paul took us into town after breakfast, but we discovered most of Wamba was closed because today is a market day. All the merchants took their things to the market to sell today, so off we went to the market! This is where the Samburu people go to shop. They can sell their livestock there, and then buy other things they need. The market sells everything—food, clothing, beads… It is like one of our flea markets, but MUCH more colorful! We were the only white people there. While we were enjoying seeing all the Samburu people with their colorful clothing and beads, I think they got a kick out of looking at us, too.
I have some questions about the Samburu people. I was wondering if there was a special place they buy their clothes, or if they made their own clothing. (And then you posted this entry about the market!) Can the Samburu people understand what you are saying to them? Are you able to understand what they are saying? How much English do they speak? Do you have any clue why their ear holes are so big? How did the Samburu people treat you?
Looks like plenty of neat birds where you are. I actually looked up the Orange-Bellied Parrot and the Hoopoe. Personally, I like the Orange-Bellied Parrot better. Its color is what caught my eye. I get the idea that many things around you have vibrant colors! The Hoopoe is different, unique.
It sounds like you had a lot of fun at the market. I bet the Samburu's clothing is quite attractive. They make it themselves, right? I was wondering when I read this entry, if the market was something held weekly, monthly, or annually. Did you happen to buy anything?
The Samburu People usually wear bright colors, sometimes beads and some headwear. We might think that their outfits are strange, but I’m sure they think our outfits are just as weird! It is a part of their traditions and their cultures. Here in America, they would stick out in a crowd, that’s for sure.
The Samburu people purchase their clothing in town or at the market (markets are held weekly-- in different places on different days). Some of their clothing is like ours-- long-sleeved shirts with buttons, t-shirts, or sweatshirts. There is a church in Wamba and maybe some of this clothing is donated, but I'm guessing here-- I don't know for sure. When I went to the market, I bought one of the blankets like the men wear and also one of the brightly colored cloths that the women wear (mine is BRIGHT orange with a pineapple design). The women would wear it as a skirt or as a shawl.
The Samburu people have their own language, which I cannot understand; nor can they understand us. They may know some English if they have gone to school, but few people go to school beyond the 8th grade because secondary school is not free in Kenya. Our scientists and the other staff at Wamba are able to communicate with most of the people, and we never go anywhere without them! We found the people to be friendly towards us.
As for the ear piercings-- both men and women pierce their ears and then enlarge the holes-- I guess by inserting some sort of plug. Seems to me I noticed this more on older people... maybe it is going out of style?