Technology


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...




March 15. How do you put information online when there is no electricity, no telephone connection and no internet access? Here in Wamba, I am using a satellite telephone and a laptop computer. The telephone acts like a computer modem and lets me upload files to a server. It is very S-L-O-W! Way too slow for me to send email or view a webpage.

The satellite telephone won’t connect if it’s cloudy, but so far that has not been a problem. Usually I upload the day’s journal at the end of the day. At OMS, it’s 2 PM, but here it is 10 PM. All the other volunteers are in bed, the generator has been shut off for the night, and I’m outside in the dark with the phone, the computer and my headlamp so I can see what I’m doing.

Back at school, Ms. Foster receives my files on the server and uploads them here to “Yikes, Stripes!”. At least that’s what I hope is happening! There’s no way for me to know from Wamba.


1 Responses to “Technology”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Wow! You are so dedicated! It is really smart to use the satellite phone and laptop. Wamba sounds extremely exciting, but I know I would not be able to live without electricity. Why isn’t there any? How far is Wamba from the nearest town?

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me


  • Hi! My name is Shayne Russell, and I'm the Library Media Specialist at Kenneth R. Olson Middle School in Tabernacle, NJ. Come along with me on an adventure to Kenya, Africa! We will be working as volunteer researchers, side-by-side with scientists who are studying the endangered Grevy's Zebra. Let's see what research looks like... outside of the library!

Photos from the Field


A herd of Grevy's Zebras grazing.

Zebra Day 3/2/06


Leader of the Herd

Mrs. A and Mrs. Havers

Mr. Stecher wore his zebra tie!

A good time was had by all.

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3