Hey! People are trying to sleep!
Published Tuesday, March 21, 2006 by Ms. Russell | E-mail this post 
March 21. There is a male zebra who lives close to where we are staying, and this is his territory. Every night we hear him out there, and you’d be surprised how loud a zebra can be. He’s making sure that everyone knows that this is his territory. The best description I can come up with for what he sounds like is that it’s a loud growl-y noise, followed by some squeaky donkey sounds. The night before last, we heard lions out there too, and we were a little worried about our zebra friend—like maybe he should shut up so the lions won’t know where he is?! But I heard him at 5 AM this morning, so I know he’s doing fine.
Wasn't it scary hearing that lion?
Do you think the zebra was a little bit scared like you?
Do you think the lion heard the zebra but couldn't find it?
Dear Ms. Russell,
Did you get enough sleep? Where were you sleeping when the zebra made the noise? Did you see the lion? It seems so fun to get to go to other countries. It must be cool to hear and see all the animals, even though you're trying to sleep. Hope you have the best time in your life in Kenya!
Sincerely,
Shelby, Miwako and Angelica
It sounds like zebras could just wake up in the middle of the night and wander around Lewa! Do you think a tiger can take a zebra, because I here tigers are very wild in the jungle! If so, why or why not?
Angelina and Crystal--
I'm not sure how far apart the zebra and the lion were that we heard, but I'm guessing there was probably something closer to where the lion was if he was looking for something to eat. I wonder if the zebra gets scared, too-- he's all alone out there, poor thing!
Shelby, Miwako and Angelica,
I mostly heard the zebra before I fell asleep at night and then when I woke up in the morning. I don't think he ever actually woke me up. And we never did see the lion, but we did go out in the truck one night looking for him. I would have liked to have seen him!
Austin,
My question is "when do zebras sleep?" I think they must have to be alert at night to protect themselves. The zebras in Kenya don't have to worry about tigers-- there are no tigers here! But lions do like to eat zebras, and they seem to prefer our Grevy's zebras over the Plains zebras.