So You Want to be a Scientist...
Published Monday, March 20, 2006 by Ms. Russell | E-mail this post 
As Earthwatch volunteers, we are also “citizen scientists”, and we are learning what it takes to be a good scientist. Here are some of our observations:
- Unless you are in charge of your own project, you will be taking directions from someone else. It’s really important to listen carefully and ask questions if you don’t understand what to do. This could make the difference between collecting valuable data and wasting a lot of time!
- Since scientists often work in teams, good communication skills are important, too. For instance, we help each other spot animals by saying things like “there’s a black rhino at one o’clock.” Describing directions in terms of the face of a clock helps everyone know where to look. It’s much faster than saying something like, “see that tree over there?...”
- Good scientists are also very observant. They notice little details—like the differences in color, coat, and size that help tell the age of a baby zebra.
- Scientists are good record-keepers. They work with a lot of numbers, too. If you like using computers and spreadsheets to enter and analyze information, you would probably be a good scientist!
- Not everything a scientist does is fun. Sometimes the work is repetitive, or even boring! Sometimes the weather makes your work very uncomfortable—it might be very hot, or very cold, or wet. But other days may be amazing and exciting—you have to take the good with the bad. Scientists have a passion for what they do, so it’s all good!
- A good scientist is patient. You can spend years on one research study! Scientists who work with Earthwatch volunteers have to be especially patient because we ask lots of questions. And that might be the most important thing about being a scientist—you have to have an inquiring mind and love to be always learning new things.
- Oh, and a sense of humor helps too!
So, do you think you would make a good scientist?
I personally think I will make a good scientist. I am very patient and love to see and learn things that I never knew before. Learning new things will not only help me, but others also. At the same time, I don't think I will make the greatest scientist because I am a person who likes to teach. When I grow up, I will be a teacher.
hey it looks like you are enjoying yourself in Africa. I am glad you are having fun and when you get back we will defintely talk about your journey. Well cya when you return. Ill check out some books for you when you get back.
Before I read this article, I wanted to be a scientist. Unfortunately, I have realized I may not have the right stuff. First off, anyone who knows me knows I don't have any communication skills. Secondly I only have a little patience. Why I wanted to be a scientist was because I want to learn more, and I have a great sence of humor. I have my doubts of being a scientist because I would also like to be a mechanic when I get older. What ever my life comes out to, I am sure I will love my job. If I do become a scientist I would like to study astronomy so I also won't have to worry about taking orders. Thank you for telling me what it would take to be a scientist.
Bobby D.
Melanie--
You can be a scientist AND a teacher! Many scientists teach at universities. Some of them are excellent teachers because they are so passionate about what they do, and they want other people to care about it, too.
Bobby--
Both mechanics and scientists figure out how things work. I think you will need patience to do either one of those jobs, but you just might find that you have more patience for doing something you are really interested in than you do for some other things. We need scientists (come to think of it, we need mechanics, too)! I say "go for it"!