So much for traveling light...


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...




My new field guide to the Birds of Kenya weighs in at over 2 pounds. Do I really want to carry that around? A friend suggested tearing out all of the color plates, having those bound, and taking that instead of the whole book. As a librarian, I just don't know if I can tear the book apart.

Wondering about all those little pieces of paper hanging out of the book? Those are all the pages that Jessica and Heather, from my FeederWatch group, marked for me with the instructions: "You have to call us if you see this bird!!" As you can see, there were a lot of birds they liked. The birds are really cool-- and I hope I do see them!


1 Responses to “So much for traveling light...”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Shayne,

    I was birding all day Saturday in Cumberland Co., New Jersey. Recorded many great sightings... short-eared owls, bald eagles, buffleheads, hooded mergansers, common mergansers, green-winged teals, wild turkeys, and many more. I stopped at the Cape May Bird Observatory in Goshen to see what reference books they had about African birds. They had the same book you bought! You made the right choice! (Maybe that is the only choice?!)

    I am very excited about going to Africa in August, so I am looking forward to following your expedition via your webpage and possibly satellite phone conference. Keep us posted!

    Safe travels,
    Maureen Barrett
    Harrington Middle School
    Mt. Laurel, NJ

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me


  • Hi! My name is Shayne Russell, and I'm the Library Media Specialist at Kenneth R. Olson Middle School in Tabernacle, NJ. Come along with me on an adventure to Kenya, Africa! We will be working as volunteer researchers, side-by-side with scientists who are studying the endangered Grevy's Zebra. Let's see what research looks like... outside of the library!

Photos from the Field


A herd of Grevy's Zebras grazing.

Zebra Day 3/2/06


Leader of the Herd

Mrs. A and Mrs. Havers

Mr. Stecher wore his zebra tie!

A good time was had by all.

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3