Yellow Fever!


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...




Today I got the last of the shots I'll need for my trip to Africa-- it was a Yellow Fever vaccine. Yellow Fever! It amazes me that this disease is still around. Has anyone read Fever 1793! by Laurie Halse Anderson? It's about a Yellow Fever epidemic in Philadelphia. Great book! Little did I know when I was reading it I would someday need a vaccination against this disease that caused so many deaths in Philadelphia way back in 1793.

The doctor I went to is one of the few who is licensed to give the Yellow Fever vaccine. He told me that as my travel consultant, it is his job to protect me from lethal and preventable diseases. Sounds pretty scary-- lethal diseases. Yellow Fever, like malaria (no shots for malaria-- I have pills to take for that one!) is transmitted by mosquitos. I will need to get some good expedition-strength bug spray, and also sleep under mosquito netting, if possible.

Besides Yellow Fever, I have also gotten shots for Polio, Tetanus, and Hepatitis A. All of this attention to "lethal" diseases makes me realize that I am going somewhere very different than anywhere I've ever been.


2 Responses to “Yellow Fever!”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    I wonder what Kenya is like? I wonder what the weather will be like? I hope you have a good trip.

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    I wonder what's so special about the Yellow Fever vacinations that only certain docters can be qualified to give it? The diseases you got shots for are called "lethal disesease." Why is that? Both Yellow Fever and Malaria are transmitted by mosquito bites, so you definately needed to stock up on bug spray. I think you are a very couragous and admirable person for going through with these shots because I definetly wouldn't go to Africa if I had to gat all of those shots!

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me


  • Hi! My name is Shayne Russell, and I'm the Library Media Specialist at Kenneth R. Olson Middle School in Tabernacle, NJ. Come along with me on an adventure to Kenya, Africa! We will be working as volunteer researchers, side-by-side with scientists who are studying the endangered Grevy's Zebra. Let's see what research looks like... outside of the library!

Photos from the Field


A herd of Grevy's Zebras grazing.

Zebra Day 3/2/06


Leader of the Herd

Mrs. A and Mrs. Havers

Mr. Stecher wore his zebra tie!

A good time was had by all.

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3