Collaboration!
Published Thursday, February 23, 2006 by Ms. Russell | E-mail this post 

One of the really neat things about an Earthwatch "TeachLive" experience is that it goes beyond your own school. Tonight I met a couple of my friends for dinner who teach science in Mt. Laurel. Ms. Veston (right) visited Africa this past summer, and Ms. Barrett (left) has received a Teacher Fellowship to participate in the same Earthwatch project I'm doing, only she'll be going this August. Their 8th grade classes would like to talk to me when I'm in Kenya, too.
We spent two-and-a-half hours at SaladWorks in Medford looking at pictures, travel guides, field guides, and children's books. I wanted to make sure that some of the information I post from Kenya will be useful for their science classes. So I took two pages of notes while they listed a whole bunch of "science teacher questions." Here are some of the things they want to know:
- How do scientists determine the size of the Grevy's Zebra population? What method do they use for determining the number of animals in a herd?
- Do zebras migrate? Do they have specific routes they travel when/if they migrate?

- We've seen pictures of birds sitting on zebras. What kind of relationship exists between the birds and the zebras?
- What adaptations do zebras have to help them survive?
- What is the relationship between zebras and people? Do people use any parts of them?
Maybe you are wondering about some of these things, too. I know I am! I will do as much research as I can before I leave, and then I will ask the scientists in Kenya about these things. Oh, and there are lots more questions where these came from! Thanks for the homework assignment, Ms. Barrett and Ms. Veston! I will do my best.
0 Responses to “Collaboration!”
Leave a Reply